SOSP 2017 Scholarships
We do not provide on-site childcare service at SOSP 2017, but we are happy to provide a limited number of childcare allowance to attendees that might incur additional childcare cost due to attending the conference. Please send an email request to email@example.com by August 21, 2017, describing how his/her SOSP travel may incur extra cost on child-care. The committee will notify the results via email by September 8, 2017.
Call for Student Scholarship Applications
SOSP 2017, through generous donations from conference sponsors, will offer scholarships to assist students attending the conference. Each scholarship covers the SOSP conference registration which includes meals. Additional funding will be awarded towards a shared hotel room during the conference, and other recipients may receive funding toward round trip air travel to/from the conference. These funds are limited, and will be based on a combination of need and merit.
Scholarship students are expected to assist the conference organizers in some way. For example, scholarship students may be asked to scribe a technical session, staff the registration desk, or help set up or tear down the poster session. These services are greatly appreciated, and provide additional networking opportunities with other conference participants. Actual duties will be assigned as the conference nears, but students should identify any time constraints in their application forms. Scholarship students are also encouraged to participate in the poster session and work-in-progress presentations. Scholarship recipient contact information will be made available to scholarship sponsoring organizations.
Who should apply
Funding is available to students from any educational institution in the world. Members of groups historically under-represented at SOSP are especially encouraged to apply, and will be given additional consideration in the scholarship evaluation process. Female and minority students should attend the Diversity at SOSP: The Ada Workshop. The workshop has additional scholarship funding, and applicants will be evaluated and awards determined through this unified scholarship application process.
Although most applicants in past years have been graduate students, undergraduates who are actively involved in systems research projects are also welcome to apply.
How to apply
To apply you should submit the following:
An SOSP student scholarship application and supporting materials. The student should visit the scholarship website form and submit the following information:
- A complete SOSP student scholarship application. The application form must be submitted online at the linked Google Form.
- A short position statement. This position statement should explain the expected benefit of attending the conference. The statement should describe any research that the student has done, and list any published papers. This statement should be no longer than 600 words (one page).
- A Diversity Workshop position statement. If attending the Diversity workshop and applying for scholarship consideration through these additional funds, an applicant should explain the benefit of attending the workshop. This statement is also limited to 600 words.
- A URL link to the student's CV (optional but recommended).
- A letter of recommendation from the student's advisor. This letter must describe the technical appropriateness of the student's participation, and any partial support from other sources (e.g., the student's institution) available to cover the costs of the student's attendance at SOSP. Advisors writing letters for multiple students should include an explicit comparison of how each student would benefit from a scholarship. The advisor should submit the plaintext letter separately, by submitting this online form.
Awardees will be given a discount code to use during their registration process.
|Applications Due||August 21, 2017|
|Award Notifications||September 8, 2017|
Student Scholarship Committee
|Thomas Bressoud, Chair (Denison University)|
|Qi Chen (Microsoft)|
|Trinabh Gupta (University of California, Santa Barbara)|
|Mirco Marchetti (University of Modena)|
|Chris Stewart (Ohio State University)|
|Yang Wang (Ohio State University)|
|Ding Yuan (University of Toronto)|
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.